font issues

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Oct 9 14:06:17 CDT 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, luis lenders wrote:

> Hi, what i find rather confusing in current wine , is
> that it only tries to use the fonts in
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts.

This is incorrect. Wine queries fontconfig to locate the regular
client-side fonts and will use any TrueType or bitmap fonts it finds
there.

> I end up with the following screen: (see
> attachment) This is because Guitar Pro places some
> weird font in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts.

Maybe you have no TrueType font available anywhere else on your system.
But that seems very unlikely. Or the application is specifying the font
it wants to use in some broken way which causes Wine to select the wrong
font. This seems more likely and then Wine should be fixed.
Unfortunately I don't know more on the subject so I can't help you
further but maybe someone on the list can.

Now whether winecfg should only list the fonts present in
c:\Windows\Fonts or all available fonts may be open to some debate.

                             $live{free} || die "";