Test If Running Under Wine

Craig macLeod craig at nch.com.au
Mon Oct 10 02:11:14 CDT 2005

I am a developer of Win32 applications. We have recently found the command ShellExecute when trying to browse folders functions differently between Wine and Windows. This is mainly because there is no implementation of Windows Explorer unider Wine so the command does nothing.

How in our code do we differentiate between Wine runs and Windows runs?

The documentation discourages such tests saying we should fix Wine.

My boss wants to do minimal changes to our code so how do we do a simple test if we are using Wine or not? I have some code to test for the existance of explore.exe and if not present then assume we are under Linux. Is this sufficiently generic? (foreign languages etc)