Bugzilla administration policies

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Oct 10 18:47:15 CDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Molle Bestefich wrote:

> Richard Cohen wrote:
>> Metabugs are generally a bad idea because they are very hard to
>> maintain. What is the point of "Get games working perfectly", and how
>> can it ever be resolved?
>
> Who said it needs to be resolved, ever, or in any kind of near future?
>
> I see metabugs more as a categorization feature.
> If you want an overview of all games that fail in Wine, go check out
> that particular entry.

Maybe this could be better done with the use of keywords. for instance
we could have a 'game' keyword. Then one would find all these bugs by
querying for bugs with the 'game' keyword.

> I'd like to see metabugs for each DLL or larger area, for instance
> "Window painting in Wine".

I'm not sure about 'Window painting in Wine', but we could have one
keyword per dll. Then once a bug is disgnosed down to a specific dll,
the relevant keyword would be added. This would let developpers with
specific knowledge of a given dll look for bugs in their domain. This
would also make the keyword list more intuitive and simpler to maintain.

One issue with using keywords is that currently it seems one needs
special privileges to set them. But this is more a policy issue than a
technical one and it can probably be resolved quite easily.

      You can have my guns when you pry them from my kids cold, dead hands.