[DSOUND] add DirectSoundFullDuplex support

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:29:19 CDT 2005

Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> > You're rejecting a perfectly fine patch to Wine, because
> > it's the wrong season of the year to send good patches?
> I have no power to accept nor reject path. All I'm trying to say, is that right
> now (Oct 14 2005) Wine is in a "code freeze" (see announcement about that few
> weeks ago). That announcement stated that only "small bug fixes" or other well
> warranted "small changes" will go in until after Wine 0.9 is out. And they will
> probably get lost and will have to be resent.

> Don't get me wrong here - I am excited as you are about some one working on
> dsound. It's just a wrong time to send this huge patches in.
>
> Also if you haven't looked, there are lots of open bugs in bugzilla that sooner
> or later have to be fixed.

Ok, I did misunderstand a bit, but also you didn't answer my main question.
I'll just ask it again, hope it's ok:

Why not do this:
  Accept the patches into trunk, and do the "code freeze" in a branch.

Pros:
 - Developers of patches will not get pissed (ahem) for their stuff
not getting in.
 - Development doesn't stop just every time a release is coming up.
 - Developers can actively select whether they'd like to help with the
release (switch to '0.9-rc' branch) or do a little more crazy stuff
(switch to trunk).
 - Only sane patches get accepted to the RC by picking and merging
those that are approved some way or another.
 - Patches don't get "LOST" as you call it..

Cons:
 - Can't think of any?