[DSOUND] add DirectSoundFullDuplex support

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Fri Oct 14 09:51:06 CDT 2005

Friday, October 14, 2005, 8:29:19 AM, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> > You're rejecting a perfectly fine patch to Wine, because
>> > it's the wrong season of the year to send good patches?
>> I have no power to accept nor reject path. All I'm trying to say, is that right
>> now (Oct 14 2005) Wine is in a "code freeze" (see announcement about that few
>> weeks ago). That announcement stated that only "small bug fixes" or other well
>> warranted "small changes" will go in until after Wine 0.9 is out. And they will
>> probably get lost and will have to be resent.

>> Don't get me wrong here - I am excited as you are about some one working on
>> dsound. It's just a wrong time to send this huge patches in.
>>
>> Also if you haven't looked, there are lots of open bugs in bugzilla that sooner
>> or later have to be fixed.

> Ok, I did misunderstand a bit, but also you didn't answer my main question.
> I'll just ask it again, hope it's ok:

> Why not do this:
>   Accept the patches into trunk, and do the "code freeze" in a branch.

> Pros:
>  - Developers of patches will not get pissed (ahem) for their stuff
> not getting in.
>  - Development doesn't stop just every time a release is coming up.
>  - Developers can actively select whether they'd like to help with the
> release (switch to '0.9-rc' branch) or do a little more crazy stuff
> (switch to trunk).
>  - Only sane patches get accepted to the RC by picking and merging
> those that are approved some way or another.
>  - Patches don't get "LOST" as you call it..

> Cons:
>  - Can't think of any?

Again that's not in my power to decide. But I would say - not a good time to
branch Wine. It's not stable enough to have "stable" and "development" branches.
All fixes are important. And lots of fixes are additional features. It's
something different from the rest of the projects. Wine has a some-what cleat
target of where it needs to be and what it have to do. Given that target keeps
moving all different directions and it's hard to hit it all the time ;)

Vitaliy