[DSOUND] add DirectSoundFullDuplex support

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Oct 14 10:27:39 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:51:06AM -0600, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Again that's not in my power to decide. But I would say - not a good time to
> branch Wine. It's not stable enough to have "stable" and "development" branches.
> All fixes are important. And lots of fixes are additional features. It's
> something different from the rest of the projects. Wine has a some-what cleat
> target of where it needs to be and what it have to do. Given that target keeps
> moving all different directions and it's hard to hit it all the time ;)
>
> Vitaliy

Exactly. That's the very special case that Wine has - it is a rather
incomplete clone of the original, as such there will *always* be problems
with the code base, no matter how far we get.
I.e. it's not simply a matter of disallowing further enhancement work
that currently doesn't *need* to be available of some OSS project to reach
a certain development state required for the current release.
In Wine's case, that enhancement usually *is* needed since Windows
provides it and programs *expect* it.

That's why I think that it's not a good idea to boldly reject any and all
enhancing patches during that period. Instead, it should simply be made clear
that it's not the best thing to spend your development time on currently,
and that the preferred way is to do bug database work or program testing.

I.e. *prefer* this direction, not make it exclusive.
This could also be done by telling a developer "please no more enhancements
now" after he has done one patch too many within our "code freeze" period...
(i.e. allow a certain amount of enhancements within this time as long as
many other people are actively doing bug-fixing only)

Andreas Mohr