D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 12:45:06 CDT 2005

--- Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hello,
> Just one question about thread safety: The openGL crash I am struggling with
> seems related to threading:
> ---Crash in fglrx---
>
> The nvidia OpenGL implementation crashes in IWineD3DDeviceImpl_Clear, the
> fglrx implementation on the first glBegin or glReadPixels call after the
> thread switch - Here an injected glBegin()-glEnd call after SetRenderState.
>
> Is WineD3D threading safe yet? Or might be the underlying OpenGL layer have
> problems with threading?

Wined3d isn't thread safe yet. Threading will cause lots of problems because when you call
MakeActive with the OpenGL context it only makes the context active on the current thread so when
you switch threads you may be using a different OpenGL context. This also means that wined3d
cannot support multiple concurrent devices, unless the application is using one device per thread,
because the OpenGL context isn't being switched when the device changes.

Oliver.