Downloading Mozilla ActiveX

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Tue Oct 18 22:18:50 CDT 2005

Le mar 18/10/2005 à 19:27, Jonathan Ernst a écrit :
> Le mardi 18 octobre 2005 à 19:28 -0400, Vincent Béron a écrit :
[snip]
> > That doesn't solve the capacity problem (which was a real one the last
> > time this discussion occured, and is the reason why the address is not
> > in wine.inf).
> >
> > Newman wasn't very fond of hosting it on winehq either. Sourceforge
> > looked like the best place regarding capacity, but the automatic
> > download part is a problem with it (unless we put it on our webspace
> > over there, but I'm not sure if it'd be Ok with their TOS).
> >
> > Vincent
>
> A simple solution would be to link to a simple php script (or perl or
> whatever) on WineHQ server that randomly selects a mirror (we can then
> use all mirrors on sourceforge,
> http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/MozillaControl16.exe, one hosted on
> winehq, etc.) This would address the capacity problem.
>
> If you want I can make such a script (but that's trivial).

The list of mirrors from sourceforge isn't quite stable: some are
added/removed/replaced almost daily. IE, today's list and the one from
the same day last week isn't necessarily the same.

The only "sure" (I quote it because it happens that some mirrors don't
host all the files) way of doing it is by doing some HTML scraping, but
then we're at the mercy of sourceforge if they change the internal
layout of their page. This solution has been pretty much rejected
already.

If there was an ideal solution, there'd be a lot more projects using
sure, automatic downloads from sourceforge mirrors instead of
hodge-podge scripts and HTML scraping.

Vincent