Linking wine *dll.so libraries with Linux applications ?!

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 09:07:48 CDT 2005

Alexander Efremov wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> Thursday, October 20, 2005, 3:48:13 PM, you wrote:
>
>>>You might be tempted to pursue another,
>>>much more ambitious alternative by
>>>making something like 'minwine' analogous to
>>>mingw32, i.e. strip Wine down to the parts that
>>>can just link into a normal linux app.  It would have
>>>to be able to load video codec DLLs to be useful,
>>>which might be difficult.  I wouldn't try this route
>>>if you want to get anything done and usable in
>>>the short term.
>>
>>Isn't this exactly what mplayer is doing? Afair "look at how mplayer is
>>doing" was a much used answer to people wanting to connect to their
>>Windows DLLs which did few or no Win32 calls at all.
>

> That is exactly what I'm trying to do right now. The question is if
> they have the *general* solution for any *.dll or an adhoc approach
Nope, it is not a general solution, it works only for the codecs dlls
which seem to have a well defined API. Don't know exact details as i
never looked at that code or Wine code in that area.

> for each *.dll they used. Did anyone try to repeat their trick or
> use their wrapper ?
Projects that used similar techniques are CaptiveNTFS and maybe NDIS
Wrapper.

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart