[ World of Warcraft ] The 1.8 Patch brings the target ( or targeting ) problem back

Christoph Rudorff chris at u-club.de
Thu Oct 13 13:54:37 CDT 2005

Mike Hearn schrieb:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:16:05 +0000, Eddahbi Karim wrote:
>
>>Now the mouse problem comes back but the workarounds don't work this
>>time. It's not a regression, it's a bug enhancement.

ACK

>>The old workaround for WineX still work according to gentoo-forums [2].
>

> It seems Warcraft relies upon NULL-addressed VirtualAlloc starting
> allocation from above a certain range - possibly they're pulling some
> silly bit-twiddling hack or optimisation. The Cedega patch linked to on
> the forums basically hints to mmap that it should allocate at a fixed
> address in this case:
>
>   http://lists.transgaming.org/pipermail/winex-devel/2004-May/000259.html

I tried that logic with the mmap wrapper but that did not help ... with
and without printf. I'm just wondering of this code because start
address must be a multiple of pagesize. WoW allocs sometimes less ...
like 2 or 178 bytes.

> Which for WoW they seem to set this hint to 256mb - is there some aspect
> of the NT kernel we're not correctly implementing here? Does Windows
> always allocate from 256mb upwards?
>
> Alexandre, Mike - does hinting to mmap in the port library as TransGaming
> do it seem like a good solution here or would it be better to adapt the
> preloader to block off the lowest $X megs?

I'm away for a week so I dont have time to hack and test this into wine
... and I have no time for gaming either :-/

chris