Cannot compile 20050830 on Solaris 9

Rob Done doner at svtogden.com
Mon Oct 17 13:54:14 CDT 2005

Ok, Im almost there (or at least alot closer).
After editing a source file and a few Makefiles and manually applying
several diffs from Robert Lunnons patchkit from different Wine versions
(none applicable to 20050830). I got Wine to compile on Solaris 9!!!!!

Now when running wine, it sits for a few seconds, then spits the following
error and quits:
try_mmap_fixed:  vfork:  Resource temporarily unavailable

I found this is coming from /lib/mmap.c after a call to vfork. There is
nothing in the call that strikes me as odd, nor any indication in the man
page for vfork, why it would be temporarily unavailable.

The man page only specifies 2 failure modes. ENOMEM indicates there is no
swap space for the new process. The machine has 512MB of RAM, and 800MB
swap partition is only 1% used, so that is unlikely.

The other failure mode (EAGAIN), is even less likely if I understand
correctly. It mentions that the user limit for processes has been exceeded.
I doubt this is likely, even with 2-3 xterms open on each of 3 monitors,
but I closed all but 1 and tried executing as root, with no success.

Thanks in advance,
Rob "Stuck again" Done