preload libGL

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sat Oct 22 14:24:42 CDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 08:39:28PM +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> I don't really see any dfference between dlopen("libGL") at run-time and
> linking x11drv with libGL at compile-time..

Well, suppose you want to do a 'full-blown' Wine distribution. You would
then link to libGL at compile time. And then suppose someone uses your
package on a machine without GL installed => the guy will not be able to do
anything as he won't be able to load the graphics driver (this case actually
happened some time back).

This is why we try to have less and less 'hard' dependencies in the Wine
code and more and more 'soft' ones (which means that you can build Wine on a
machine with all dependecies met while having this package still work on a
much less feature-full box).

Of course, in cases where the dependency is really mandatory (like the GL
dependency in the OpenGL32.DLL) we do the hard linking :-)

       Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/