preload libGL

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Sat Oct 22 16:33:45 CDT 2005

Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 11:06:14PM +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
>
>>I personally would vore for the first option, make opengl a wine
>>requirement, we'll soon have opengl integrated into the xserver (Xgl
>>etc.) so sooner or later everyone will need to have an opengl
>>implementation installed.
>

> Well, trust me on that one, but some times ago, Wine did link directly to
> OpenGL. But seeing the number of broken packages (i.e. did not advertise the
> GL dependency) and the time spent on bug reports / support requests, it was
> decided to move to a run-time link scheme.
>
> And I think there are more people without GL installed (and without even a
> clue to what GL is) than one wanting to play pre-link tricks to override GL.

those people don't need to know what opengl is.. the distribution
packager needs to make wine depend on opengl.. and they didn't.. so it
was their fault..
I don't see why you (eg. wine developers) should need to fix something
(it's not really a fix, just a workaround) that is caused by someone
else (eg. the distribution packagers).

you could make --without-opengl the default option and those who know
that they have opengl installed could enable it. Or why does this option
exist after all? If wine works when compiled with --with-opengl and
there is no opengl library, this switch seems useless in my eyes.

like with other packages that require some strange libraries, why can't
opengl be a 'hard' dependency for wine?

you can say: "without opengl no wine, if you want wine, get opengl, you
can get one for free from your distributor or www.mesa3d.org"
problem solved !

tom