Wine regression testing: PIT_

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Wed Oct 26 06:04:30 CDT 2005

Very good points. It seems a lot of this has been accepted over the years
on the basis that wine was alpha software and in that context , the past
is the past - get the new release etc.

It seems that the result is , as you say, regression testing is a PITA and
as a result often gets skipped. The code base has certainly advanced a lot
but every release seems to create as many problems as it solves.

I managed to get an app working in Feb, luckily I tarballed the whole
.wine installation since I am now unable to reinstall this app under any
version of wine and make it work.

Wine is now officially beta and this is probably the stage at which some
serious project management has to come into play.

Maybe someone has to take a week off from coding and review the overall
picture. The core devs have a huge task so it must be made easier for
people like yourself who clearly have the expertise to contribute to get
involved.

A working wine installation seems to have the life expectancy of a
butterfly. If any wider interest is to be generated: like people who
actually want to use the code rather than rewrite it , it has to stabalise
and be done more rigourously (for example documentation syncronisation -
last time I looked the man page was still telling me how to setup the
config file, and winever simply reports CVS , irrespective of what build I
install from.). Hopefully beta is where this will start to happen.

Now is a crucial time to Linux , it has reached take-off velocity.

If wine is to contribute to the migration path, and there is a the
opertunity for a great contribution, it seems to me this has to be
adressed now.

I dont mean to imply nothing is being done behind the scenes, I'm sure you
guys are already working on these issues.

Hopefully 0.9 will be a turning point for Wine . Many thanks for the work
that has gone into getting this far.

Best regards.