Help with WINE and POSIX threading

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 09:33:10 CDT 2005

On 10/27/05, Marcus Meissner <marcus at jet.franken.de> wrote:
> > 2) Threading
> >
> > On several places we use third-party components that use native pthreads
> > from which we receive callbacks in different pthreads.
> >
> > Is it possible to use Wine/pthread mix? What would be the preferred way
> > of doing things?
>
> Umm. I do not know. It might be possible.
>
> We provide a kind of barebones pthread implementation ourselves
> to help this mix.

It's safest if you can keep the Windows and Linux parts of
your product in separate processes, and communicate via
IPC (say, sockets).  Would that be possible for you, ssawai?

> > Our tests show that Wine implements Win32 threads by creating new
> > processes (via clone() syscall). This is a problem, because, pthreads
> > spawned from Wine thread, cannot be interlocked with Wine/Win32 Mutex or
> > CriticalSection. They also seem to be scheduled (by kernel) only within
> > parent Wine thread. If parent Wine thread terminates early - we have a
> > crash the moment when one of the orphan pthreads try to place a
> > callback.

If you're talking about mixing pthreads and wine threads still,
yeah, all bets are off.  If you're talking about pure win32 stuff,
please give more details.

> > Can you help with these? If not, can you suggest who may
> > be able to give us some expert insight with our issues?
>
> I hope some of the other developers on wine-devel at winehq.org can
> fill in here.

Don't forget - there's always the option of calling in
the professionals.  There are contractors who can help
you if you are able to afford the fee.
- Dan