Could not determine operating system. Exiting.

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Thu Oct 27 12:41:02 CDT 2005

> I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there a free version of the
> program or a demo that we can download?  It's hard to find this type
> of bug without having the program to tinker with.  Assuming the answer
> is no, can you provide the line where the dialog pops up and ~1000
> lines before that point in a +version,+relay log?  Zip that up and
> either send it back to the list (if the size isn't too large and the
> mailing list lets it through) or post it on a website where we can
> access the log.
Hi James!
  Thanks for Your help, I made some progress in this issue.
  I've looked once more to the +relay log (+version gives nothing). I've
found that about 2000 lines before the dialog pops up there is a block
reading all the NAMES of environment variables and comparing them with
"OS". So I intuitively entered OS="Windows NT" before starting the program
and now I'm getting another pop-up, saying that only NT is supported. So my
"OS string" is wrong. I can find, where my name string retrieved from the
envvar, but there isn't any comparison visible in the log (i.e. it's done
internally in the program).
  So what I need now, is an exact string, which NT4.0 put to the OS envvar.
  And I have a tip for wine improvement: maybe it would be good, that
wine itself would set up such a variable according to the OS version it's
emulating.
                  With regards, Pavel Troller