wine overstepping the mark?

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Thu Oct 27 17:30:15 CDT 2005

Le jeu 27/10/2005 à 16:37, wino at piments.com a écrit :
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:23:48 +0200, Dustin Navea <speeddymon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I dont see how that is a problem?  AFAIK wine has to mod them so that
> > when you double click on an exe in your GUI, the GUI knows what program
> > to load the exe's with...  but then again I could be wrong.  anyone else?
> >
> > Dustin
> >

> Well that's why the sandbox is there.
>
> I install Wine for one specific user account that has suitably restricted
> access rights. I do not want wine or wine installer to go outside that
> brief.
>
> I want wine on this system so that I can use on or two bits of windows
> software , I DO NOT want it to start thinking it really IS windows and
> start taking over my computer for me.
>
> That is the fundamental reason why I use Linux and not M$.

It's most probably the call to "update-desktop-database" in
tools/Makefile while doing the make install part.

If using the Gentoo e-package (or whatever the name, I can't be bothered
to check the exact name), file a bug to Gentoo and ask them to add
UPDATE_DESKTOP_DATABASE=/bin/true to the make install line in the rules.
But then you'll need to run it sometime after if you want the connection
between .exe and wine to be made.

Is ldconfig replaced while building a package under Gentoo? Because, you
know, wine's make install does run ldconfig, and it should change its
cache file in /etc...

Side note: you shouldn't need to make install as root if the result goes
to a sandbox...

Vincent