wine overstepping the mark?

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Thu Oct 27 18:04:05 CDT 2005

Thanks for the explaination but that's just my point. That is windows
mentality, but this is not windows.

If I install gimp it does not try to reconfigure my system and take over
control of any image file types it can handle. That is windows mentality.

What it is does is the first time it is run it _asks_ me if I wish to
associalte it with certain file types and depending on the response it
sets some preference _for that user_.

If I then start gimp as another user it has no knowlege of this and asks
the same questions : for that user.

What I am trying to suggest here is that spending too long , too close to
windows code it can be infectious. I am trying to raise a little reminder
of where we are here. Linuxland not Billville.

> If you have ever tried to click on an executable ...
A .exe is not an "executable" on this system. You cannot "click" on a
file, a file is data on a disk. You may click on a filename displayed in a
filemanager at which point I would expect it to execute the program , if
any , I have associtated with that file type. If I have installed new
software I may need to alter that setting.

> your GUI shows you the action that it is running the file,

Does it? What GUI is that? Are refering to a window manager, a desktop
environment or a file manager ??

If it does as you say , your particular GUI is broken I suggest you try
another that behaves correctly.

OK, I wont labour the point any more.

If installing wine is messing with global config files , it should not be.

Regards.