wine overstepping the mark?

Dustin Navea speeddymon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:02:14 CDT 2005

that is exactly my point.. lol thanks for saving me the time of writing
what you just said..

wino: wine believes it needs to do that for all users, because it thinks
that all users want to run windows programs..  I understand now that you
only want to be able to run wine under 1 user, and so therefore it
shouldnt change system-wide settings, but is there a .exe mimetype on a
user level?  Last time I checked there wasn't, and so therefore it has
to do it on the system level, and the only reason that wine needs to
control the exe's is because there isnt anything else that will run a
.exe file itself.  Notice i said run..  You can load .exe's into a hex
editor, and maybe that is what you want to do on your other users, in
which case I agree, wine should ask if you associate .exe's with wine.
But most users who are installing wine, are probably going to be doing
it to run windows programs, and on a system-wide level, not to run
windows programs on a per-user level, and load them in a hex editor on
all other users, which is why wine is just taking control, instead of
asking, to make it a more user-friendly experience.

Hope that makes sense..

Dustin