D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 06:17:54 CDT 2005

> One other Question: How slow is DrawStridedSlow? WineD3D uses it because of
> the diffuse ans specular colors. Currently I get only one useable vertex into
> DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB from ProcessVertices, the other 5 to draw have their
> values zeroed. Without drawing anything I get 70 fps(screen refresh rate,
> expected), with the 6 Vertices I get 1.5 fps. Is this normal for
> DrawStridedSlow()? Might this be because of drawing 2 triangles with useless
> vertices? Or might something else be wrong?

It's slow, but not *that* slow in my experience.
When testing with an about three years old DX8 game on an Athlon Tb
1,33 Ghz & Geforce 4400 Ti I get about 15-20 fps when using
drawStridedSlow and about 40-45 fps when using drawStridedFast.
Curiously, changing graphics settings doesn't seem to have much of an
effect on performance.

On the subject of drawStridedSlow / color fixups, something I was
wondering about is how feasible it would be to use vertex shaders to
fix the colors. I guess it would require reimplementing pretty much
the entire fixed function pipeline as shaders. I also don't know what
the impact would be on performance, but I seem to remember reading
somewhere that modern gfx cards don't have a real fixed function
pipeline anymore and that the drivers use the programmable pipeline to
implement much of that functionality anyway. I've got no idea how
reliable that claim is though.