Unmet dependency with Mozilla ActiveX install

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Oct 31 18:15:10 CST 2005

Le lun 31/10/2005 à 17:51, Ron Jensen a écrit :

> I tried installing a free game at random [1] from a web site
> I found [2]. I downloaded it and tried installing it into a freshly
> created with "wineprefixcreate" .wine folder.
>
> The game installed without a problem.  When I tried to run the game wine
> presented a dialog that said I needed Mozilla ActiveX controls and
> offered to download & install them.  The download worked, however the
> install _FAILED_ .

Right. I find it a bit bizarre to have Wine facilitate the automatic
download of something which doesn't work out of the box.

> I found a web site [3] with troubleshooting tips.  It suggested I was
> missing two dlls, MSVCP60.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL.  I downloaded the zip file
> [4] and unzipped it into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system .

Before you try to download/install the control, you can simply make a
symlink in your c:\windows\system32 named msvcp60.dll pointing to
c:\program files\Mozilla ActiveX Control 1.7.12\msvcp70.dll. (Yes, the
control provides mscvp70.dll but links with msvcp60.dll. I haven't had
the time to ask the author why.)

> Reran the game, wine presented the same dialog about ActiveX.  This time
> it downloaded & installed properly.  The game started, ran and played.
>
> Two issues come to mind for the ActiveX installer:
> - it need to check for MSVCP60.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL before it bothers to
> download ActiveX.

Wine's msvcrt.dll is enough for the control. See above for msvcp60.dll.

> - it should cache the ActiveX download ( in /tmp maybe? ) with an option
> to keep it on hand.  Since wine is installed per user it is probable a
> machine may need to install this more than once.

The easiest way would be to include it in the binary packages, and use a
"file:///" URL to "download" it. The only problem is it adds about 4MB
to the package, which is quite a lot relatively. Keeping files in /tmp
is a bad idea, because it means untrusted users can get you to run
something, and /tmp is usually cleaned up by a cron job.

Vincent