[Now ns7] Dragon ns8 problem

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Mon Sep 5 16:40:10 CDT 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:23:26 +0200, Jean Magnan de Bornier
<jean at bornier.net> wrote:

> As root, "ps ax | grep wine", and then looking at pid numbers, kill all
> of
> the /usr/bin/wine-preloader processes (there were four or five of them),
> one after the other. Then as user, wineboot worked. Wonder if this is
> usual?

Yes I seem to remember having to kill off some wine-preloader processes
after failures but not sure if it was in this same context.

BTW try pgrep ;)

> Never mind, now the issue is to have sound; the volume check does not
complete as for now.

Again I think this was covered in earlier posts but I seem to recall wine
not being able to control the recording level. I set it to a suitable
level before starting NS IIRC and it got through to the dictation training
OK.

Depending on your hardware and mixer software you should make sure you
over-driving the sound by putting sliders at 100% and take care not to
confuse mike input and the mike capture settings.

  'mik' seems to be the ammount of the mike input that is fed back to the
output mixer and is independant of the mike capture level.

It is mike capture you need for NS.

>  Strangely, as I have the french version, the text I'm
supposed to read for volume check is in english??

What's strange about that? Most software works that way !

I am still running wine-20050524 that I used with NS7, and that worked
well. It may be useful to post the version you are using for the record .

Glad to hear you're getting somewhere.

8)