Suggestions for improvement of the emulator

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 19:38:05 CDT 2005

--- Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 9/6/05, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> > I'll grant you that we could possibly setup a TinderBox type of system
> > but I feel that would be very overkill right now and even TinderBox can
> > only detect problems after patches get committed.
>
> I don't know if everyone follows wine-cvs everyday and examines every
> patch that goes through but we could suggest in our documentation that
> CC's of patches are sent to certain developers along with
> wine-patches. Basically the model would stay the same as it is now
> except we would be laying the ground work for the move to a maintainer
> model. If someone wants to be a maintainer then they would add
> themselves to the list and would agree to review patches people to
> send them.
>
> If I was going to to do some DirectX hacking I would be more inclined
> to send my patch to Oliver first rather than sending it to Julliard
> because 1) I know Oliver is the defacto maintainer right now and 2) If
> he has uncommitted patches in his tree then my changes could result in
> conflict or duplication of work.

> I know it has to be frustrating for new developers that join the
> project don't know who works on what. They spend X amount of time
> working on something only to see it be rejected or to be told "You did
> this wrong". Sure they should have asked on wine-devel but maybe if we
> had a list of people that were the point of contact for certain
> modules (And clearly document the submission process) it would
> encourage them to ask more questions directly.

If you send the patches in to wine-patches then I will help you get the patches applied, that may
mean that they don't get committed initially and I have to work with you to get the patches to a
good level of completeness. I initially had a lot of patched declined, hell it was annoying, and
my work would have made it into winecvs a lot faster if they had been committed earlier, but I
think breaking patches down into small, defined manageable chunks is far more important in the
long run, especially if it causes regression.

Anyhow, I'm sure that all patches are very much appreciated by everyone, anyone who has any
difficulty getting any patches committed should just ask for some help on wine-devel and I'm sure
someone will be willing to help them out (If not just Email me and I'll give you a hand!).

Roles seem to change a lot, so I'm not sure that appointing anyone is a good idea (appart from the
default maintainer of for categories of bugs), you can always look at the code or
http://www.winehq.org/site/status and find whoever has submited the recient changes, it may be
initially daunting but I'm sure everyone's glad someone lends a hand.

Oliver.