[Now ns7] Dragon ns8 problem

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Thu Sep 8 01:53:19 CDT 2005

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:21:26 +0200, Jean Magnan de Bornier
<jean at bornier.net> wrote:

> Sound level appears now ok for dns;
Great news.

> I have to read two phrases, and then a longer text; in this last
> exercise dns gets lost after two lines of text. All the cpu is taken by
> wine-preloader processes and this does not appears to ever stop.  There
> were (last time) 23 wine-preloader processes running!

I have never had that sort of problem.
I cant recall the official minimum mem req for dns7 but as a guide I would
expect it to crawl with 256M and fly with 512M

Speach rec is memory hungry process and will speed up considerably if
given more RAM, but I have not seen it get stuck as you describe.

> Would it be something like not enough space allocated to wine??

Unless you are near zero on that partition I dont think that is likely.

It may be worth limitting the number of unknows if you want to get it
working quicker.

I would suggest you try a known, working combination of wine version ,
sound drivers and get it to working and then try to update wine and try
different drivers if you wish.

Since wine is still very much in developement it is not a case of "newer
version = less bugs", often changes break things that did work, that's why
wine is still in alpha. I have suggested a version that works with ns7,
using that may eliminate one poss cause of problems.

On Gentoo you can use quickpkg to make a binary of your current wine
package to save you having to recompile when you switch back.

HTH