appdb developers please read

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Sep 8 10:15:10 CDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:

> Francois Gouget wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
>>
>> What is a 'patch management system'?
>>
>> If it's something Alexandre uses to apply patches, then his requirement
>> that it be usable from his desktop environement (Emacs) precludes a
>> web-based system.
>>
>> So what about something more like a patch tracking system, not for
>> Alexandre's use but for everyone to see on the web?
>
> We don't need that, it's not much better than what we've got

I disagree. It would be loads better than what we have now (i.e.
nothing):

> The benefits would be:
>  * we'd have a clear indication of what's the status of a patch
>  * we'd have a better idea of how many patches get dropped
>  * if we implement the automatic email notification submitters of
> dropped patches would automatically get instructions on how to remedy
> the issue
>  * dropped patches would be clearly visible making it easy for
> volunteers to investigate themand take action

Also it would not require disrupting Alexandre's routine or having him
do extra work. And the optional email to new submitters would be much
more friendly than having the patch go into a black hole without the
drawback of bothering old-time contributors.

                   A black hole is just God dividing by zero.