[Now ns7] Dragon ns8 problem

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Fri Sep 9 16:11:19 CDT 2005

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:27:47 +0200, Jean Magnan de Bornier
<jean at bornier.net> wrote:

> Oh joy! My user's files are there, waiting for me!
>
> Now it won't start, but I'm being confident: this thing accepts one more
> thing every day, not more; so maybe tomorrow, after a reboot (probably
> unneeded, but there seems to be a real addiction about reboot for these
> strange animals!), it will run ok, if not I might post the logs...
>
> thanks,

Okay, I'm glad to hear getting somewhere.  Just refresh my memory about
all this business with sound levels and voice training, I have just
installed a new user profile.

This is also prompted by hardware change since I'd installed a new
soundcard.  The new Hercules news 5.1 is quite a full featured card but it
seems input sensitivity was too low and I couldn't get decent training
quality.

So after some messing around with the  ALSa configurations, I managed to
get those soundcard is correctly working with the mixer.  I then plugged
the microphone into the end sonic soundcard, fired up Dragon
NaturallySpeaking has started to create any user profile and run the audio
setup process.

Here are a few tricks I forgot to mention:

Although NaturallySpeaking seems to pick up the sound advice and sets the
sound capture level to zero as it enters the audio setup it seems unable
to bring it back up again.  If this happens, let it get to the stage and
then use the Linux mixer to set the capture to suitable level.  You should
then be able to continue with a quality check.  On the Hercules card I was
not able to score more than 14, with the Sound Blaster end sonic I was
able to score 21.

I also encounter some problems which seemed to be more due to Wine than
anything else.  For example, at one stage I thought it had hung because
clicking on buttons had no effect, eventually I remembered having this
problem before and getting around it weighs in theor keyboard shortcuts.

In any case, I successfully completed a training and this text is my first
attempt at using it.  As you can see the quality of the dictation
recognition is pretty good.  None of this text has been edited with the
keyboard afterwards, it was all generated by Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and
the any editing done was the occasional command issued through the
microphone.

I will now risk all by trying to update wine to see if you remove some of
the glitches.

I'll keep you posted, good luck.