Internet Explorer Registry entries

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Sep 14 14:50:57 CDT 2005

Hello,
I just tried to install Palm Desktop on a clean Wine installation to test the
msi file on Wine's MSI implementation. Well, it cancelled the installation
because it needs MSIE 4.0 or higher.

My suggestion is to include the most important Internet Explorer
identification registry entries in the default wine registry to make apps
like this install without the hassle of installing Internet explorer. If the
version is set to 4.0, 5.0 or 5.5 IE6.0 SP1 should still install without
problems.

To my knowledge most apps check for the existance of MSIE to be sure some DLLs
are available on Win95 systems, which wine brings in builtin versions. All
apps(except of Steam) that I've seen and require MSIE work fine with Wines
shdocvw, mshtml and friends.

What do you think about this?
Stefan