Empire Earth continued

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Sep 19 14:09:05 CDT 2005

Hello Lionel,
Now that I think that the refcount crash is solved and I'm waiting for the
patch I've sent to be reviewed and commited, I've looked into the OpenGL
crash: I know the following cases

*Hardware accellerated, with fglrx: Crash in fglrx[1]
*Hardware accellerated, other implementation: Crash in some DDraw DIP function
*No hardware accelleration: No crash, Main Menu finally starts, but only with
a black screen[2]

I've uploaded two logs to my homepage, [1] and [2], if you want to look at
them. Well I noticed 2 things:

*Empire Earth starts using a new thread to do ddraw things. *Sigh*
*There's some problem due to a missing Z Buffer

Is the first thing likely to cause problems? You told me so some time ago, but
it doesn't look like it in the logs. The Z buffer thing is more suspicious to
me, but the code path with leads to the crash seems to be prepared for this.
Do you have any suggestions?

When I start the game without hw accel, I can take screen shots with the
game's screen shot functionality. They show text elements and the mouse
pointer. The background and the button decorations are not drawn. See [3].
I can control the menu with the keyboard and start the map editor, which has
the in-game graphics. It's basically the same as the menu, text and mouse
pointer only, but luckily no further crash :-)

Thanks for taking the time,
Stefan

[1] http://doesi.gmxhome.de/ee.fglrx-crash.bz2
[2] http://doesi.gmxhome.de/ee.mesa.bz2