Documentation volunteer(s) needed

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 15:45:36 CDT 2005

--- Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hello,
> > Oh yeah, another question-- are we making provision for 'special
> > circumstances'? I've got an ATI card, which makes me sensitive to such
> > things, since the ATI drivers fail to do many things that they should,
> > and often additional provisions need to be made specifically to get an
> > app or game to run with the stupid fglrx drivers, where no such config
> > workarounds need to be used with nVidia cards, or so I've heard. Or does
> > that just fall under 'Troubleshooting'? Or does Wine not need such
> > workarounds at all (unlike Cedega)?
> There are for sure some cases where fglrx-specific problems exist. I am
> hunting two problems with this driver. One thing is that glTexSubImage2D()
> and glReadPixels() are HORRIBLY slow, another one is a crash in the fglrx
> driver somehow related to textures.
>
> Maybe I can solve these 2 in time, so you don't have to write about them ;-)

You need to turn on backbuffers / backingstore in your xf86config and those two functions were
reasonable fast (so long as you don't play mess around with the transfer modes) older driver
(can't renember which version)

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver                              "fglrx"
#    Backing store increases performance when locking the backbuffer
    Option "backingstore" "true"
EndSection

I've got a hack to go into wined3d that speeds up locking the backbuffer by not bothering to read
it if it's just been cleared, this get's movies using DirectX and backbuffer locking up to a good
frame rate with low CPU usage.

Oliver