D3D7 -> WineD3D

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 08:58:36 CDT 2005

--- Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hello,
> > It's almost ready for DirectX 8 but there quite a bit of work intergrating
> > things with ddraw surfaces before DirectX 7 can be moved over.
> I decided to give it a try without thinking for a long time, and I've made
> little progress: I've replaced the old OpenGL interface with a stub which is
> ready to take calls to WineD3D. I've noticed the following problems so far:
>
> * Headers: WineD3D depends on the d3d8 or d3d9 headers. I've made the check
> pass with d3d.h, but I had to copy a lot of definitions from d3d9types.h. The
> thing compiles without errors or warnings now, but there may be side effects
> I don't know for now.

Where there is a difference between d3d8 and d3d9 headers a new type is created WINED3DFOOBAR and
put into include/wine/wined3dtypes.h, this should be easy enough to extend to d3d7.

> * Surfaces... You mentioned it, I think I don't need to explain anything
> here ;-)
>
> * Not a problem, but a suggestion: Does it make sense to have DirectDraw using
> WineD3D? Without direct access to the video memory it's slow, and DGA has
> permission problems. Using WineD3D here might make surfaces less trouble, and
> it could give better performance without needing rw access to /dev/mem.

That's defiantly a possibility but we'd still need to support people who don't have accelerated
OpenGL graphics. I think getting the DIB engine merge would be more beneficial.