Running Wine from source tree

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Thu Sep 22 01:57:24 CDT 2005

James Liggett wrote:

> I'm doing a lot of testing, and I was wondering if I can run Wine from
> within its source tree without having to reinstall it after every build.
> If it can be done without conflicting with an existing installation of
> Wine, how do I do it?

Yes, it can be done.  In fact, I don't have Wine installed to make sure
that I don't get confused as to which version I'm testing.

I have the attached script (exists at ~/bin/wine_envsetup) to set up my
environment (assumes wine in ~/wine), but running ~/wine/wine will also
work.

You can set up a ~/.wine from the source tree using:

./tools/wineprefixcreate --use-wine-tree .

Then add an alias to set up your environment to your ~/.bashrc,
something like this:

export OLDPATH=$PATH
alias winehq='. $HOME/bin/wine_envsetup'

You can then run 'winehq' to setup your environment.  I find this
configuration useful to because I have multiple wine environments, so
multiple ~/bin/*_envsetup scripts.  It points everything to the right
place so that running 'wine' on the command line will run the wine
binary from the setup I'm interested in, not a shell script.

Again, you don't need to go to all this trouble if you're happy to run
the ~/wine/wine script in the source directory.

Mike