QA'ing wine running elementary school software

dank at kegel.com dank at kegel.com
Fri Sep 23 01:59:05 CDT 2005

I'm still looking around to figure out what
software it'd be worth QA'ing under Wine
as Wine approaches 0.9 or 1.0.
Here's a likely set of candidates in
the educational software category, along
with links to free demos and the appropriate
appdb pages:

"Kidspiration"
Free trial:
http://www.inspiration.com/freetrial
Appdb:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1091

"Oregon Trail 5"
Free trial:
http://www.learningcompany.com/jump.jsp?itemID=147&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1
Appdb:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=2909

"Kid Pix Deluxe 4 for Schools"
Free trial:
http://rivapprod2.riverdeep.net/portal/page?_pageid=414,105278&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Appdb:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=285

- Dan

p.s.
To figure out what educational software is in use, I searched for
   approved software list elementary school
A few hits included:

http://www.riordanfoundation.org/What_We_Do/05%20CIC%20budget%20worksheet%20for%20web%20.xls
http://edweb.tusd.k12.az.us/softwarelist.asp
http://www.tvdsb.on.ca/currcomptech/elementary_software_approval_list_aug2005.shtml
http://www.gmcs.org/images/technology/software.pdf
http://dysart.schoolnet.com/outreach/dysart/departments/edtech/resource/approved/
http://www.indyschools.com/software/

That gave me a rough idea of what titles were popular.
I then searched for
  $title approved software site:.us
for likely values of $title, and counted hits.
(Searching only .us sites filtered out a lot of
noise, I think, since k-12 schools are much more likely
than software vendors or reviews to have .us domains.)
The results:
10,000 for "accelerated reader" approved software site:.us
 9,640 for "print shop" approved software site:.us
   502 for "kidspiration" approved software site:.us
   420 for "kid pix" approved software site:.us
   369 for "oregon trail" approved software site:.us
   220 for "reader rabbit" approved software site:.us

Taking them from the top:

"Accellerated Reader"
http://www.renlearn.com/ar/overview/requirements.htm
says they have a web version that explicitly
supports Linux clients!  So maybe there's no reason
to work on Accellerated Reader.

"print shop" lives at
http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=834&mainPID=834&itemType=PRODUCT
and sadly has no free demo.  But $50 isn't too steep
as these things go.

"Kidspiration", free trial available at
http://www.inspiration.com/freetrial/

"Kid Pix" - there are several versions mentioned (kid pix studio,
kid pix deluxe, kid pix deluxe for schools).
kid pix deluxe 4 for schools lives at
http://rivapprod2.riverdeep.net/portal/page?_pageid=414,105278&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
and has a free demo, for educators at least.

"Oregon Trail" - Oregon Trail 5 has a free demo, see
http://www.learningcompany.com/jump.jsp?itemID=147&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1

"Reader Rabbit" has so many versions I can't pick one
to mention here.