Problem with Magellan DataSend and COM ports

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Tue Sep 27 21:18:05 CDT 2005

I recently tried to install the Magellan DataSend tool to talk to my
GPS, and it almost works. However, I did find one funny with it - the
program did not "see" the COM ports until I added the following entries
into the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\devicemap\serialcomm]
"COM2"="COM2"
"COM1"="COM1"

(these were found via a file on the Magellan install CD named win95com.reg).

Perhaps these should be added to the Wine registry?

Once added, then the program would run - at least right up to the point
where I told it to download the data to the GPS, at which point it threw
and exception and died.