headless question, and IPC question

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Fri Sep 30 04:18:38 CDT 2005

> Remove the call to WSAStartup, and the program requires no X display.
>
> As I said, I know winsock uses hidden windows handles to do some things,
>  which is pretty ugly architecturally.  However, it seems like it should
> be possible to not have a display in this case.  any ideas?

It looks like the only dependency is from the PostMessageA in
dlls/winsock/async.c #514.

The windows version of ws2_32.dll does not link to user32.dll however,
it appears to load it on demand.   I can see the following strings in it:

USER32.dll
TranslateMessage
PeekMessageA
PostMessageA
DispatchMessageA

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to change the PostMessageA to
LoadLibrary/GetProcAddres.

Mike