Software Freedom Conservancy

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 01:03:07 CST 2006

Hi,

On 4/1/06, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> A while back I began seriously thinking about the possibility of
> nonprofit status and began researching into all sorts of grants and
> fundraising sources that Wine could potentially tap.  Needless to say,
> now I have reason to dig up my notes and look into it further.

I did quite a lot of work with this for the ReactOS project and
actually did all the paperwork required so I am happy to help in any
way. ReactOS does not get nearly as much support as Wine does and so
it mostly amounted to a waste of time and money for me. I have decided
to disband the ReactOS Foundation due to this and a number of other
reasons but I think the time has come for a Wine Foundation.

If Wine is every going to get the support it needs beyond CodeWeavers
I think there needs to be the organization there to handle large cash
donations in the event IBM (Gasp) or anyone else ever decides to join
the party.

--
Steven Edwards