Direct3D, the kernel and ReactOS

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sat Apr 1 03:03:23 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:12:06PM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> My long term suggestion is to move the Direct3D->OpenGL translation code from
> WineD3D to gdi and a win32k sys, and write ddraw.dll, d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll
> to use that interface. The user mode dlls can be shared with Reactos, and
> from a technical point of view, even Microsoft's DirectX dlls can be used on
> Wine(including the hardware emulation layer).

If you look back at the wine-devel archives, this point was discussed at the
moment 'wined3d' was started (i.e. do we go the MS way with HAL / HEL / ...
or our own way with 'wined3d').

And the conclusion was that the DDK interfaces being poorly documented (no
idea if they are even *publicly* documented - thus leading to all sort of
legal mess if you implement Windows' internal APIs) and that they should not
be used by external applications (thus enabling MS to change them for each
new DirectX revision) made us choose the other way.

Not to mention also that if the 'native' DDraw / D3D / ... DLLs were to work
over this API, nobody would spend time working on them :-)

         Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/