Software Freedom Conservancy

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Apr 1 10:36:05 CST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:29:50PM -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 21:48 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> > Anyone else have any objections or other thoughts on it?
>
> Let's remember that it's not just firms like Google that could give "the
> Wine project" money.  Wine has some serious potential value for a whole
> lot of people - scientists, governments, businesses, charities, etc.
> What this means is that we're eligible for a whole ton of grants that
> nobody has ever even bothered to apply for.

Uh... not to disturb this discussion or anything, but isn't this here:

http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006033001926NWBZDV

as planned by OSDL just about EXACTLY what would be needed?

IMHO administrative stuff such as project financing would best be done by one
central party for many projects, due to the many legal and administrative
issues involved (JFYI: the *very only* reason for the recent Lobby4Linux Austin
project failure was - you guessed it - management of donation finances
and nobody willing to carry that risk and responsibility!! A shame, really...).

These things should *really* be centralized I think, so please push into that direction
and get OSDL to widen its scope if needed and possible.

This is long overdue IMHO.

Andreas