Implement THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Apr 3 10:47:10 CDT 2006

Hi,

[sneaked in another CC, JFYI ;]

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 04:29:43PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> And even then, SCHED_ISO is a long way off and may never be merged.
> Waiting for it wouldn't be helping users today, which is a bad thing IMHO.

I don't think SCHED_ISO is necessarily a long way off. Recently there has been
more activity in getting scheduler improvements into mainline, so some form of
SCHED_ISO class might appear soon.

But anyway, since those defines each have their own specific value:

/*
 * Scheduling policies
 */
#define SCHED_NORMAL            0
#define SCHED_FIFO              1
#define SCHED_RR                2
#define SCHED_BATCH             3
#define SCHED_ISO               4
#define SCHED_IDLEPRIO          5

I think we should try hard to devise a clever fallback mechanism that is
run-time, not compile-time, based (which, among other things, means to use
our own numbers or defines, not the ones as provided by a specific kernel
version that Wine gets compiled with).

Andreas