Implement THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Mon Apr 3 11:00:17 CDT 2006

Am Sonntag, 2. April 2006 15:23 schrieb Mike Hearn:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 03:49:39 +0200, Willie Sippel wrote:
> > Just tested Mike's patch with realtime-lsm. Running Wine as regular user
> > now gives perfect audio with no stutter for every application I tried so
> > far. So yes, realtime-lsm actually does the trick - me happy! ;)
>
> Wonderful!
>
> > I load realtime-lsm with "gid=18 mlock=1 allcaps=1" (gid 18 is audio),
> > and set wineserver to root:audio. Easy solution, great results!
>
> I'm not sure it counts as easy. At least Fedora and SUSE already have an
> LSM module loaded, for SELinux and AppArmor respectively. Some solution
> based on making wineserver suid root might work but I didn't get anywhere
> when I played with that.

I might be wrong, but isn't a suid root winewrapper much more dangerous
compared to the realtime-lsm solution? All realtime-lsm does is allowing
mlock and realtime privileges for a given user or group, while a suid root
wineserver would also have access to root-only files and device nodes, no?

Also, it seems realtime-lsm is part of the mm kernel, which means there's a
chance it will end up in mainline in the near future, while SCHED_ISO will
probably take longer or wont be included at all.

Anyway, a solution that tries to always use the best possible way seems to be
the best option (try SCHED_FIFO, fallback to SCHED_ISO, fallback to
default)...

--
Willie Sippel

  ////////  |  Tritium Studios