Pegasus Mail via Wine

James E. Lang jelly at ktb.net
Mon Apr 3 23:18:06 CDT 2006

I have been using Pegasus Mail via Wine for nearly two years. Before that I
used Pegasus Mail on a Win98 system for several years.

Since Wine officially entered Beta category in late 2005, I have tried most of
the releases (starting with 0.9.3). Pegasus functioned quite well with Wine
Versions 0.9.3, 0.9.5, 0.9.6, 0.9.7, & 0.9.8. Wine Version 0.9.4 was unusable.
Wine Versions 0.9.9 and 0.9.10 both sent Pegasus a signal to shut itself down
when the message composition window got closed.

As Rein Klazes wrote on 11 Mar 06 @ 06:20 re: user32: Handle WM_ENDSESSION in
DefWinProc():

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:45 -0600, you wrote:

> > Author: Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>
> > Date:   Fri Feb 24 15:34:09 2006 +0100
> >
> > user32: Handle WM_ENDSESSION in DefWinProc().
> > DefWinProc() should call PostQuitMessage() on WM_ENDSESSION if the
> > shutdown is proceeding.
>
> Hi Francois,
>
> This patch is causing a problem in Pegasus Mail. Closing some dialogs
> cause termination of the complete program.
> Here is a part of SPY++ log when run under win2000, when I close the
> edit new mail dialog ...

I don't know whether this is fixed in Wine Version 0.9.11 since I cannot get
Pegasus Mail to perform any useful function with that version of Wine. With
Wine Version 0.9.8 Pegasus Mail would load on my computer and display my list
of e-mail folders within 30 seconds. With Wine Version 0.9.11 Pegasus Mail
still does not display the folder list after 15 minutes. Pegasus Mail's startup
window *does* display for the proper time interval.

"Technical" Observations:

When I use Wine Version 0.9.8 and use KDE System Guard to view the running
processes I see that the process that is running the bash shell that runs
Pegasus Mail has one Wine related offspring process ("Wine-preloader") and that
offspring uses about 598,000 bytes of RAM. When I use Wine Version 0.9.11 there
is that same process but it in turn has an offspring process of its own (also
"Wine-preloader") which uses about 41,500 bytes of RAM.

During the time that Wine was failing to display the normal things for Pegasus
Mail I noticed that the value of VmRss (resident virtual memory?) increased in
very small increments (usually 8 bytes at a time) two or three times a minute.
The total VmSize (Virtual Memory Size?) value did not change. It is remotely
possible that given enough time (measured in hours maybe) that Pegasus Mail
would have finally displayed something useful.

What I'm trying to say is that I have not been able to use any version of Wine
after 0.9.8 to support Pegasus Mail and I'm trying to pass along a description
of what I see. I have no debug code activated and do not know what debug
options would be appropriate.

--
Jim