XVidMode is required for Gamma Control

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Apr 4 13:07:39 CDT 2006

> > 1) Allow XVidMode to init for gamma control regardless the setting of
> > UseXVidMode.
> > I already sent a patch for this.
> >
> > 2) Make UseXVidMode default to "Y".

> > Let me know what any of you think is best. I'd prefer the first one so
> > that I won't have people scratching their heads over what is going on.
> > Though #2 might be more correct than #1. Something should be changed
> > because it's silly that Diablo 2 cannot run by default.
>
> We should probably do both #1 and #2. I don't think there's any reason
> to have it disabled by default.
Hm. How does that interact with XRandr? There are still mouse grab issues in
some games(half-life comes to mind), often because games do not care to grab
the mouse. In this case using XVidMode will cause the mouse to leave the
window, which is really disturbing.

But if XRandr will still be used for screen resolution setup, than this is
fine.

Stefan