XVidMode is required for Gamma Control

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 16:59:25 CDT 2006

On 4/4/06, Lionel Ulmer <lionel.ulmer at free.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:42:18AM -0700, Jesse Allen wrote:
> > 1) Allow XVidMode to init for gamma control regardless the setting of
> > UseXVidMode.
> > I already sent a patch for this.
> >
> > 2) Make UseXVidMode default to "Y".
> >
> > 3) Tell people to set UseXVidMode manually.
>
> 4) do not return an error message if gamma is not supported :-)
>
> For me Gamma is a 'nice to have' but like some stubs, the game would work
> almost as well if we just ignore the call... So instead to forward the error
> to the application, why should we not put a nice ERR message on the console
> and just ignore the gamma change and return OK ?
>
>            Lionel
>
> --
>                  Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/

Sure, we could do that if gamma is truly not supported. I wrote an SDL
test app compiled for both Win32 and Linux. I ran it on both my linux
box, native and wine, and on my windows 2k3 box where I compiled it.
Gamma was not supported on my windows box, but was supported in X on
my linux box. I suppose a game should not take the failed call to
SetGammaRamp as a complete failure. I suppose always returning DD_OK +
a warning when gamma changes don't work would be nice too, because
this could be problematic even on Windows but doesn't have to be on
Wine.