Coverity doing scans of Wine codebase!

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Apr 6 14:54:17 CDT 2006

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:39:00 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Yes, this is awesome news, so far every one I have checked is a real bug.

OK, that was a bit over-enthusiastic. A few of these are more tricky. EG:

* One was wrong, it didn't track the fact that the given variable was
  initialized by a subroutine

* Another (missing NULL ptr check in LoadTypeLibEx) is right, but, I don't
  think we want to add lots of missing NULL arg checks in the public API
  implementations. An application will never pass NULL to this function
  directly as otherwise it'd not work at all, so, a crash with a NULL arg
  here probably is revealing some other bug.

  I'd rather it crashed cleanly in a debuggable way than silently return
  error code and continue, in other words ...

* It has identified a codepath through the server window station code
  where a struct desktop could be dereffed without being initialized.
  But I am not sure if this codepath is logically possible. Somebody
  more familiar with that code (eg Alexandre) would have to check if
  it could actually ever be taken or not.

* Some of these are bugs that aren't really a high priority, eg
  leaks in winegcc (which doesn't live very long anyway)

Still. A real treasure trove of data here. Thanks Ben!