Starcraft vs. fullscreen

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Fri Apr 7 02:42:10 CDT 2006

>On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:18:16AM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
>> Because windows' ddraw.dll restores everything when the app exists. I've added
>> some code to do that do my ddraw lib. I restore the screen mode when the
>> ddraw object is released, and on the last DllMain() unload call, I loop
>> through all ddraw objects, print their refcount, destroy all the surfaces and
>> the ddraw object. This restores the screen res successfully.
>
>Well it's the same for memory: who in his right mind in modern operating
>system still 'free's at exit all 'malloc'ed memory :-) ?

Do you know the traveller's motto? "Leave only footprints" Meaning: don't
destroy things that don't belong to you, don't pollute other stuff, don't
leave garbage, don't rely on others to clean up after you :)

So I'd say: Everyone who has a proud in his/her code as being a round,
closed piece of work should also do the cleanup himself. I sure don't
like if some tools report that my programs have leaks, no matter what
modern, hi-tech, sophisticated OS they will run on. Call me old-fashioned :)

Sorry for the rambling.

bye  Fabi