new to wine, Guild Wars don't display correctly

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Apr 7 04:54:28 CDT 2006

Hi,
> Note that the game is unplayable because it lags and lags and lags. I
> must wait 3 to 5 minutes before my character appears. And when i move, i
> see an image approximatively each second, it is jerky... I think it
> comes from the thing you said before : poor performance, but i prefer
> announce to others wine users what the results are now...
I fixed the performance issue with radeon cards. The problem was that wined3d
set the mipmap level count for textures every time they where used. This
caused the driver to remove the textures from video memory, and they had to
be re-transfered over the bus constantly.

The slowness in guild wars sounds unrelated too. Maybe guild wars locks the
render target. This is more or less broken in WineD3D at the moment, and
horribly slow on radeon cards.

Stefan