tasklet - sfd2ttf - eliminate dependency on FontForge (for anybody who's interested)

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:58:27 CDT 2006

On 4/13/06, Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2.) Seems like slight overkill, considering that the user can just
> install FontForge.
>     What is wrong with the simpler solution you mentioned:
>
> > * put a warning about this in configure

This issue that we can really do decent font support with our fonts and not
building them creates problems.  So it'd be really nice to have the fonts
available rather than just warn someone they won't be.  Sure, installing
fontforge isn't too hard (I did it in all of about 2 minutes last night) but
eventually it's going to cause problems.  Maybe because it doesn't work on a
future FreeBSD or MacOS X release, maybe because one of their releases is
broken with regard to our sfd files and we have to work around it, etc,
etc.  What Mike's task boils down to is making a simple font generation
tool.  Fontforge has about 800 bizillion features and we need two: parsing
sfd files and generating a TTF from them.

-Brian