tasklet - sfd2ttf - eliminate dependency on FontForge (for anybody who's interested)

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 14:03:27 CDT 2006

On 4/13/06, n0dalus <n0dalus+wine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe this is a stupid question, but why can't we just distribute the
> ttf files directly?

Because we're masochists and prefer to build tools.

It's definitely the simple solution and we're capable of doing that.  There
used to be issues with having binary files in CVS, but I'm not sure that's
as big of a problem.  However, as a general rule of thumb the source code
releases are just that - source code.  The proper solution is to distribute
the .sfd files and compile them during the build process.  It's the same
reason we don't include .bmp or .avi files; we have tools to build them from
the resource files.   The goal here is to take the functionality in
fontforge and trim it down to the bare minimum of what we need.

-Brian