tasklet - sfd2ttf - eliminate dependency on FontForge (for anybody who's interested)

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Thu Apr 13 22:11:32 CDT 2006

Molle Bestefich wrote:

> 2.) Seems like slight overkill, considering that the user can just
> install FontForge.

Eliminating dependencies[1] is a Good Thing (tm).  It makes it easier
for people to install and use our software.

We're also discovered that not all versions of FontForge are equal, and
that's not easy to detect in configure.

>     What is wrong with the simpler solution you mentioned:
>
>>* put a warning about this in configure

We have one now.  People can't read :)  I suspect it also has to do with
people configuring Wine like this:

./configure && make

which means any configure warnings will most likely be missed.  We can
try go a step further and pass a non-zero exit code to the shell, so the
above fails.

The FontForge author has indicated that he will give permission to
license sfd2ttf based on FontForge code as LGPL.

The task is to take some of the FontForge code, turn it into a sfd2ttf
and make it acceptable for inclusion into Wine.

Mike

[1] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000007.html