Fontforge Dependency (was: Wine Front-End development)

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Sat Apr 15 16:51:13 CDT 2006

Kuba Ober wrote:

>If fontforge"made a mess", that's not just because it's an extra dependency.
>It's because someone, instead of making the right choice and shipping
>whatever files fontforge is building, shipped only the sources. The right
>thing to do would be to ship the prebuilt stuff at least until "right"
>version of fontforge reaches mainstream. Now we're trying to waste some more
>time by ripping fontforge and creating sfd2ttf (?). That's lunacy! Just ship
>the damn prebuilt files until the time is ripe to take them out. Of course
>the sources should be kept there all the time as well.

So if a version of gcc got released that didn't produce correct
libraries then we should add all of the .so files to the Wine tree? What
a good idea!

Of course, the fix is to try to add a configure check for the incorrect
ttf files that fontforge produces, or otherwise a version check, as has
already been discussed.

--
Robert Shearman