SOC project

Kai Blin blin at gmx.net
Mon Apr 17 13:44:30 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

after I implemented NTLM authentication using samba's ntlm_auth for last
year's SOC, I'm considering entering again this year.

Now what I wanted to as was the following. I've recently started to look
into the GENSEC library samba4 has to implement SSPI authentication and
signing/sealing, as the latter is impossible to do with ntlm_auth. Now,
would you consider this to be too cheesy to do as a project for summer
of code? If yes, I would of course try to think of something else I can
do, but I'd really like to see SSPI doing all that's possible on win32
one day. And I think GENSEC is the way to go.

So far this has the issue of GENSEC not being under the LGPL, but I've
already talked to Andrew Bartlett about this, and I'm currently writing
a proof of concept application that GENSEC is usable from outside the
samba source. Once I have that talking to SSPI on the windows side, I
guess I can convince him to relicense GENSEC as LGPL.

The backup plan to that would be to add a small wrapper program and use
a stdio interface to GENSEC similar to the solution with ntlm_auth now.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin, (blin at gmx dot net)
If condition persists, consult your physician.